Tuesday, March 3, 2015

C is for Cats


The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the letter "C" is cats of course! And this can also be related back to pagan topics :)

Cats are truly interesting creatures. They allow us to feed them and shelter them, in return we end up in cuddly kitty piles or for some a familiar. Now I've never considered any of my felines a familiar but I know many who do.

During the European witch hunts, (black) cats were often times considered a witch's familiar that was given to her by the devil. To this day black cats are often seen as unlucky.

Today, some pagans look to cats as a familiar, and I often wonder how does that one cat become considered a familiar. Why that cat and not another? Do individuals with multiple cats sometimes have multiple familiars? Can you really pick out your familiar at a pet store or shelter?

For me and probably plenty of others, my cats are a part of my family. As you can see in the picture I added in, I have a few feline family members :). I often joke that I run a "half-way house for those in need that never leave". I have never been able to go pick out a cat, no regrets here btw. Every cat that has come into my life (7 at current count) came to me by chance. They all have their own stories and their own personalities and I love each of them. The challenge ultimately becomes how not to house more cats than I can reasonably care for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment